HIGH STREET, COATS MEMORIAL CHURCH (Ref:39027)
This building is in the Renfrewshire Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/02/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 478 639.
H J Blanc, architect, 1894. Cruciform with central tower, nave and aisles, raised on undercroft. 1st and 2nd pointed Gothic. Snecked rubble with ashlar dressing. South front approached by broad flight of steps; gabled entrances to undercroft at side of steps. 3 gabled porches, recessed entrances with nook shafts and cusped bands to the doors, paired to centre with carved tympanum Large 5-light traceried windows and triple lancet above in south gable, flanked by octagonal turrets. 5-bay nave and 2-bay transepts; 4-light traceried windows to clerestory in each bay, separated by flying buttresses. Transept gables have 5 light windows as south front with 3 lancets below and small flanking turrets. Various vestries and offices disposed symmetrically around chancel. 3 lancets in north end. Slate roof. 3 stage central tower suoorting open crown: 1st blind; 2nd buttressed to east and west with groups of 3 lancets; 3rd stage has 2 2-light belfry openings to each face. Angle pinnacles. Interior: nave with clustered piers supporting pointed arches and clerestory Wooden coupled roofs to nave and transepts, stencilled. Crossing and chancel stone-vaulted with painted panels. Carving to capitals, spandrels, etc. Furnishings: high-relief alabaster panels under north window: marble pulpit with alabaster reliefs, designed by Blanc, 1906. Deep marble font, behind Communion Table. Brass and pewter lectern. All original light fittings. Ancillary rooms round the ambulatory have stencilled walls and elaborate oak fireplaces. Undercroft halls modernised.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Souvenirs of opening and of golden jubilee.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).