PITGAVENY STREET, HARBOUR MASTER'S OFFICES, LOSSIEMOUTH FISHERIES MUSEUM AND ASSOCIATED WAREHOUSES (Ref:37609)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2386 7111.
1851 (northern 6 bays) and 1860-70 (southern 4 bays including
harbour master's office and return elevation to Commerce
Long E facing range (to harbour) 3-storey, 10-bay, returning
with bowed angle, and single gable bay to Commerce Street.
Rubble, tooled ashlar and tooled rubble dressings. Blocked
entrance (now window) in bowed angle; corniced entrance with
flanking windows, mural barometer recess and regular
Warehouse ranges extend continuous with, and to N of, harbour
master's office (now incorporating Fisheries Museum). 9
segmental-headed ground floor entranes, some flanked by
shallow circular mural recesses for lifebelts (1860-70) and
those to northern bays with narrow shuttered windows (1851).
All with double-leaf plank doors except that at extreme N end
which is blocked.
Regular fenestration, low in 2nd floor, breaking wallhead as
gabletted dormers above harbour master's office. Corrugated
asbestos roof to N 6 bays; slightly higher slated roof with 2
coped ridge stacks at S 4 bays.
At rear 4 rubble forestairs serve 1st and 2nd floors,
oversailing ground floor and some 1st floor doorways as
Low single storey extension at N with corrugated asbestos
Harbour at Stotfield Point, Branderburgh, constructed 1837-9, superseding the earlier harbour fronting Clifton Road,
Lossiemouth. The earlier portion of the warehouse range
originally included stable accommodation. This block shows up
on George McWilliam's plan of Branderburgh, 1855 but not
the range which includes the harbour master's office which
appears on the 1st ed. OS 1870.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88.
Elgin Library, DAW P2534/1 and map no. 486, plan of
Branderburgh drawn by George McWilliam 1855. 1st ed. OS 1870.
FORRES GAZETTE 17 December 1851, p. 3, advertisement for
tenders for warehouse and stables.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.