COVESEA SKERRIES LIGHTHOUSE, KEEPERS' COTTAGES AND STEADING (Ref:37605)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 26/01/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 2037 7127.
LIGHTHOUSE: Alan Stevenson, engineer, James Smith, contractor,
dated 1844. Tall circular 7-storey lighthouse/tower with
semi-circular, single storey range clasping base. White
painted tooled ashlar, polished ashlar dressings, some
contrasting painted. Centre entrance in S face; pedimented
doorpiece with pulvinated stringcourse and inscription.
Further entrances in S facing end gables of single storey
range. Singel narrow window in each storey of N face (sea
facing); flared corbelled upper stage with cast-iron
balustrade and galzed light.
KEEPERS' COTTAGES: pair single storey, Egyptian style
cottages; 10-bay (2 mirrored 5 bays) frontage with
alternating advanced and recessed bays. Tooled ashlar,
polished ashlar dressings, all white painted. Entrance or
window in advanced bays, each with heavy concave cornice; 4-
pane glazing to sash windows; flat roofs with batteries of 2
or 4 square stacks with flared copes.
Cottages and lighthouse linked by low coped wall enclosing
STEADING: presumably 1844. Long single storey, 2 facing 6-
bay range; tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Off-centre segmental-headed cart bay (now masked by double leaf plank
doors); 6 dooways and mural vents; 2 ridge stacks; piended
Inscription over main lighthouse entrance reads 'In salutem
omnium Northern Lights. Alan Stevenson, LLB, Engineer, James
Smith, Contractor, William Middlemiss, Superintendent.
The lighthouse now with automated light, the original light
in Lossiemouth Fisheries Museum.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p. 296. John
Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977),
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.