1-12 (EVEN NOS) TWAGEOS ROAD, ANDERSON HOMES (Ref:37278)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 20/06/1994.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4810 4110.
1865. Symmetrical near-rectangular plan former widow?s asylum; central 2-storey and attic block with single storey and attic wings flanking; gabled pavilions to outer left and right. Harl-pointed tooled cream sandstone with later cement patching. Advanced crenellated paired porches to E; boarded doors; attic windows breaking eaves in pedimented dormerheads.
E (SEAWARD ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central 2-storey and attic piend-roofed block; porch at centre; large plaque with inscription, monogram, recessed columns and trefoil details; additional blank panel below
2 attic windows; single hoodmoulded windows at ground and 1st floor in bays to left and right of porch. Single storey and attic wings;
2 porches with single windows flanking with attic windows with gabled stone dormerheads above. Gabled pavilions to outer left and right: single hoodmoulded windows at ground and in gablehead; stone finials.
W (TWAGEOS ROAD) ELEVATION: central block: 2 doorways to centre; marble commemorative plaque to Arthur Anderson above; 2 attic windows with stone dormerheads; single windows at ground and 1st floors in bays flanking doorways. Later flat-roofed single storey extensions obscuring single-storey and attic wings. Gable pavilions to outer left and right; doorway and single window at ground; single window in gablehead.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: 3-bay with central projecting porches; hoodmoulded windows flanking porches; 3 attic windows above.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey-purple slate roof;
2 coped ridge stacks; moulded cans; block skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
The original name of the Anderson Homes was the Widows? Asylum. It was erected at the instigation of Arthur Anderson (1792-1867), co-founder of the Peninsular & Orient Shipping Line, in memory of his wife, and were originally intended for the widows of seamen. The homes were erected about the same time as the Anderson Educational Institute, and are important in their own right being representative of a type of building which is becoming increasingly rare - the philanthropic almshouse. As with the Institute, it provides a dramatic feature at the southern approach to the harbour, although its impact has been reduced by the loss of the central fleche and several chimneys.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p15. Bod of Gremista Management Committee BOD OF GREMISTA (1989). Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p23.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).