44-50 (EVEN NOS) COMMERCIAL STREET, LERWICK POST OFFICE, WITH YARD WALL AND GATEPIERS (Ref:37276)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 21/12/1990.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4776 4127.
W T Oldrieve for Board of Works, 1908-10. Post Office built in Scots Renaissance style, picturesque composition incorporating Post Office (Counters) with entrance to Commercial Street, and Royal Mail Letters Sorting Office with vehicle access to harbour at rear. Complex, roughly L-plan; long main 2-storey range to Commercial Street, 3-storey at rear, with 2-storey wing at right angles, stair tower in re-entrant angle. Harled walls with droved ashlar margins and detailing of dormerheads, crowsteps and deep, recessed eaves course. Sash and case windows, small-paned, some bipartite with stone mullions, side and rear windows barred at ground floor. Slightly swept, bracketted eaves, roofed with blue-grey slates, harled and corniced stacks, metal rhones, rainwater-heads with star detailing.
S (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical with advanced crowstepped outer gables flanking 4-bay centre block, which has 3 tall windows with moulded architraves at ground and 4 curvilinear pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves at 1st floor. Single storey advanced, flat-roofed ashlar shopfront overlays part of centre range and right gable - bolection moulded doorway to outer right with Royal Armorial panel over, 4 tall windows, wall-mounted posting box and stamp machine. Telephone kiosk in angle (see separate listing). Advanced gable to left has moulded doorway and window in corniced ashlar panel at ground, with ashlar balustrade extending across frontage to right. Bipartite stair window above.
N (HARBOUR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; L-plan, main 3-storey range with 2-storey wing advanced at right angles to left, and pyramidal roofed, 2-storey stair tower in angle with bipartite at each floor. Flat-roofed vehicle loading bay adjoining main range at ground, extending across the 1st of 3 regular bays with tall bipartites to each floor, breaking eaves in pedimented dormerheads. Range terminating in taller, 2-bay tower-like crowstepped gable broken by balustraded parapet, with 2 round-headed windows at 2nd floor. Adjoining lower wing projecting to harbour; 3-bay, one crowstepped gable.
E ELEVATION: irregular fenestration; bipartites at ground and 1st floor, 2nd floor window with moulded panel over set in gablehead breaking eaves. Tall, corbelled wallhead stack.
YARD WALL: harled dwarf wall with ashlar cope and drum piers.
The post office was built over Sinclair's Beach and the site of a house, pier and loberry. In 1887, Andrew Smith won in a dispute with Lerwick Harbour Trust over the ownership of Sinclair's Beach. Smith held that Udal (Norse) Law whereby the beach and foreshore is the property of the landowner prevailed over Scots Law which states that the foreshore is crown property. It was the scene of the arrest of 40 employees on 1st November 1914 (for an unexplained reason) who were marched to the county jail between 2 lines of marines with fixed bayonets, it is assumed, due to thoughts they had been tampering with official war mail associated with the naval base at Swarback Minn. An early 20th century photograph shows the yard wall and drum piers to be considerably higher originally. The design and siting of this building is used to far more effect than the strikingly similar one in Oban. The scale and massing of the elements respond very well to the different aesthetic and practical demands of Commercial Street and the harbour, and as such affirms this building as a fine piece of civic design.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p13. Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994). Liv Kjorsvik and Gunnie Moberg THE SHETLAND STORY (1988) p176. Tom Henderson SHETLAND FROM OLD PHOTOGRAPHS (1978) plate 67. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) plate 28. Norman Hudson SOUVENIR POSTCARDS FROM SHETLAND (1992) p13 and 17. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p490. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p130.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.