FREEFIELD ROAD, THE STORE (Ref:37275)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 25/11/1989.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4872 6943.
Late 18th century/early 19th century, extended to E in earlier 19th century. 2-storey and loft, 5 x 1-bay storehouse. Random rubble walls with droved ashlar dressings.
N ELEVATION: 5 bays (grouped 2-3) regularly fenestrated, windows infilled except vertically-boarded timber shutter with iron hinges to window at ground in bay to outer right;
W ELEVATION: openings centring gable; wide door at ground, loading doors at upper floors, segmental arched with 2-leaf timber doors at 1st floor, infilled at loft.
S ELEVATION: 5 bays, grouped 3-2. Left group; door at ground to left of bay to left and in centre bay, both with boarded timber infill. Right group; 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door at ground in bay to right, timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; 12-pane to left, 4-pane to right. Boarded timber infill to other windows.
E ELEVATION: corner to right chamfered at ground; openings roughly centring gable; 6-panel domestic timber door with 5-pane fanlight above at ground; openings at upper floors infilled; additional small square window in gablehead.
Modern corrugated sheet cladding to roof.
The firm of Hay and Ogilvy collapsed in 1842 due to decline in the herring boom and damage to their fishing fleet in a gale. The collapse resulted in the establishment of Hay & Co in 1844 when William Hay joined forces with his sons, William and Charles. They originally worked from premises in Commercial Street, but William applied for new premises at Freefield, and by 1845 it was one of the busiest spots in Lerwick. The company caught, cured, bought, and exported fish on a very large scale, and was actively involved in the whaling industry. It also built and repaired ships and sold goods wholesale and retail including the Welsh roofing slate that can now be seen throughout Shetland. A photograph of circa 1890 shows a substantial ridge stack marking the former gable end.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p141. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) p11. James R Nicolson HAY & COMPANY (1982) p5 plates 16 and 30. NMRS Ref: A 80688. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p112 plate 21.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.