12-14 (EVEN NOS) GREENFIELD PLACE, ST MAGNUS' EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND RECTORY, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:37270)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 08/11/1974.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4790 4112.
Alexander Ellis of Aberdeen, 1862-4, tower added by him in 1891-2, alterations to chancel by Alexander Ross, 1899. Gothic church comprising 3-bay gabled nave, oriented N-S, with single bay gabled chancel projecting to N, and 3-stage square plan tower at SW corner. Stugged rubble walls to nave and chancel, stugged ashlar tower, stugged and droved dressings. TOWER: vestry projecting at lower stage to S and E; mullioned tripartite window centring S elevation with gablet breaking eaves above; paired windows flanking centre of tower wall above; curved E vestry wall connecting to entrance porch at right; gabled single storey stair tower in re-entrant to N. Slit windows in 2nd stage with angle buttresses, string courses above. Paired pointed-arched openings to belfry with string course at springer level, crenellated parapet corbelled out at eaves, stone spouts at corners. Crowstepped gables to cap-house roof with bracketted skewputts and crosslet arrowslit in N gablehead. NAVE: gabled entrance porch centring S elevation at ground; pointed-arched vertically-boarded timber door with pointed-arched window in side; circular plate-traceried wheel window centred in gablehead above. 3-bay nave elevation with pointed-arched windows in each bay except for bay to outer left and right of W and E elevation respectively containing paired bipartite pointed-arched windows. CHANCEL: tall and narrow, gabled, with traceried pointed-arched window (inserted by Ross 1899) in W elevation, organ chamber with mullioned bipartite window centred in gable, projecting from E elevation; wheel window in N chancel gable, matching that in S gable.Leaded window to entrance porch. Stained glass of 1864 depicting crucifixion in N wheel window (dial pattern), floreate design to S window; W chancel window by Clayton & Bell 1899, leaded diamond-pane side windows to nave with coloured border glazing; some stained glass windows by Sir Ninian Comper circa 1900 depicting figures. Grey slate roofs with cast-iron gutters and downpipes with decorative hoppers to nave, chancel and tower. Ashlar skew copes with carved stone crosses at apexes.INTERIOR: 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber inner entrance doors. Timber floor, pews and wainscoting to nave. Open timber roofs; scissor trusses to nave, kingposts bearing on stone corbels in chancel. Octagonal timber pulpit on painted stone base. Pointed-arched chancel arch; pink granite colonettes with floreate capitals on heavy corbels supporting inner arch. Stencilled decoration around N window. Pointed-arched opening to organ chamber in E wall, arcaded sedilia and credence niche to left. Sacrament house in W wall; vertically-boarded timber door with decorative cast-iron hinges and escutcheon, fronted by stone shelf. Stone sanctuary steps, coloured tiled floor, altar supported on 3 ashlar columns. RECTORY: symmetrical; single storey and attic, gabled house. Rubble walls with stugged and droved dressings. Principal elevation to N comprising central 4-pane timber door with 2-pane fanlight above, 3-light single storey corniced canted windows in flanking bays with 4-pane timber sash and case windows and plate glass sidelights. Grey modern tile roof; piend-roofed slate-hung canted timber dormers, 4-pane timber sash and case windows with plate glass sidelights. Multi-flue apex stacks with ashlar copes and octagonal cans. Piend-roofed single storey service wing to W. BOUNDARY WALL: random rubble boundary wall to W.
Ecclesiastical building, in use as such. Ellis was responsible for the original design and adding the tower, the detailing showing some influence of the Art Nouveau style. Stained glass windows by Sir Ninian Comper were moved here by Joseph Bell & Son in 1973 from the former House of Charity in Knab Road. A photograph by George Washington Wilson shows its appearance before addition of the tower.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p24. NMRS Ref: SHO/93/9. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p488 and 493. NMRS Ref: SHO/93/1 and 9. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) plates 13, 16 and 19.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.