ESPLANADE, BETWEEN GRIEG'S CLOSS AND CAMPBELL'S CLOSE, THE PEERIE SHOP (Ref:37268)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 18/10/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4767 4137.
Circa 1735. Long single storey and attic, 7-bay former store-house (now shop) of rectangular plan with flanking closes and gable to street. Random rubble walls with stugged and droved sandstone dressings. E (ESPLANADE) ELEVATION: wide opening with modern 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door centring gable at ground, integral rubble buttress advanced at left with Grieg?s Pier inscribed in stonework above, door with plate glass fixed-light centred in gablehead, flat stone at apex. S (GRIEG?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation, corbelled out at mid-height between 2 bays to outer right. Boarded window in bay to outer left; rubble-infilled door in bay to right; 12-pane timber sash and case window in bay to right; bay to right blank at ground, rubble catslide dormer with boarded opening, breaking eaves above, accessed by rubble stair and stone slab bridge over close; modern glazing in bay to right, brick and glazed infill in penultimate bay to right, paired doors in bay to outer right. N (CAMPBELL?S CLOSS) ELEVATION: 4 bays, grouped at right, vertically-boarded timber doors in each bay, 2-leaf in 2 bays to outer right, infilled opening over lintel in bay to left.Grey-purple slate roof with ashlar skew copes to E gable.
The Peerie Shop was built as a storehouse on Grieg?s Pier, or lodberry, which was originally on the waterfront until the esplanade was built in 1836. It was the lodberry of James Greig, merchant, and was also where Thomas Stove had his block making establishment. It is a rare survivor amongst the dense development built following construction of the Esplanade in 1886.
E S Reid Tait A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p44. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p21. NMRS Ref: SH/2128.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.