31 COMMERCIAL STREET, QUENDALE HOUSE, INCLUDING RETAINING, STEPS, BOUNDARY WALL, RAILING, GATEPIERS AND GATE (Ref:37266)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 18/10/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4790 4120.
1865. 3-storey and attic, 3-bay symmetrical house (now offices) of rectangular plan. Stugged ashlar principal elevation, harl-pointed random rubble side and rear elevations with droved and stugged ashlar dressings. Base course and eaves cornice. Chamfered arrises to openings at principal front, margined openings to side and rear elevations.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-panel timber entrance door, with plate glass fanlight, centred at ground; round-arched window at floor above, tripartite windows in outer bays at ground and 1st floor, bipartite windows in outer bays at 2nd floor.
W GABLE: narrow windows; rubble infilled centred at ground with window adjacent to right, windows flanking centre at 1st floor, small window centred at 2nd floor.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated, with round-arched stair window at upper level to left of centre.
Timber sash and case windows, predominantly 6-pane, 3-pane sidelights to tripartites, 4 and 12-pane to rear elevation. 22-pane border-glazed fixed lights to round-arched windows. Purple-grey slate roof with profiled cast-iron gutter, piend-roofed, slate-hung timber dormers, 6-pane timber windows with top-hung sashes. Stugged ashlar 8-flue apex stacks, coped with octagonal cans, ashlar skew copes and skewputts.
RETAINING WALL AND STEPS: concrete coped rubble retaining wall to N, stone steps flanking elevation.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble wall surmounted by ashlar cope and iron railing to Commercial Street, flanking gateways comprising stugged ashlar piers with bases and pyramidal caps. Random rubble ashlar-coped wall to S with gate at S end, stugged and droved square gatepiers with pyramidal caps, cast-iron gate with fleur-de-lys finials.
Quendale House was built on the site of Craigie House, built in 1737 and demolished in the 1860?s for building of the new house. It was built by the Griersons of Quendale who had previously had a house at the foot of Grierson?s Kloss, subsequently named Quendale Lane.
Tait, E S Reid, A LERWICK MISCELLANY (1955), p13. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p14. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p109. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p6 and 212. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p493.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.