9 COMMERCIAL STREET, THE OLD MANSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND WASH-HOUSE (Ref:37265)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 18/10/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4802 4115.
Circa 1690, with later alterations, including porch of circa 1900. 2-storey and attic over basement, 3-bay near-symmetrical house. Random rubble principal front with cement margins, stugged sandstone porch with droved ashlar margins, harled side and rear elevations.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 widely-spaced bays, porch at ground to right of centre; 6-panel, 2-leaf timber entrance door with plate glass fanlight above, flanking narrow windows; tall bipartite windows and vertically-boarded timber door in side elevations. Small windows at basement and single window at principal floor, adjacent to left of porch. Bipartite principal floor windows at bays to outer left and right.
1st floor windows with square dormerheads breaking eaves.
NE (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: 2-bay, gabled, basement window at left, regular fenestration at principal and 1st floors.
SE (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 widely spaced bays, door centred at basement, single window with square dormerhead breaking eaves to right of centre.
SW ELEVATION: 2-bay gable end; windows in right bay at principal and 1st floors, attic window in gablehead to right of centre.
Timber sash and case windows, plate glass of various dates to most openings, 4-pane to basement window of NE gable, 2 and 3-pane fixed-lights to porch. Purple-grey slate roof with cast-iron gutters and downpipes, piended cement rendered skew copes, coped and harled apex stacks with thackstanes and circular red cans.
INTERIOR: vertically-boarded timber lining to porch, panelled inner door with 2-pane glazed upper. Early 19th century staircase surviving with cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.
WASH-HOUSE: gabled, random rubble, with door centred in SW elevation and small square opening in NE elevation, purple-grey slate roof.
BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble to N and S, modern roughcast wall to W.
Reputedly Lerwick?s oldest house, the Old Manse was purchased by the Heritors of the town from Mr Dick of Wormadale, to house the first minister, Mr Milne. His successor, Mr Waldie, bought the house from the Heritors who rented different houses for successive ministers pending the building of a new manse.
James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p41. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p15.
E J F Clausen and T M Y Manson 150th ANNIVERSARY OF LERWICK PARISH CHURCH (1979) p3.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.