NORTH NESS, NORTH NESS HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:37262)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 18/10/1977.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4751 4180.
Circa 1820. Single storey and attic, 3-bay symmetrical house with gabled wings projecting to rear giving approximate U-plan. Harled S elevation, harl-pointed rubble side and rear elevations, painted stone dressings.
S ELEVATION: symmetrical, projecting gabled porch centred at ground with boarded entrance door in W side, border-glazed 6-pane timber fixed-light in gable. Regular fenestration in flanking bays; dormers with harled gabled dormerheads breaking eaves at outer bays.
W ELEVATION: 2-bay gable with windows at ground and 1st floor in bay to right; modern cement-rendered porch projecting to left.
N(REAR) ELEVATION: single window centring elevation at ground, flanking bays obscured by projecting gabled wings, that at right (W) altered and modernised, that at left with single window in advanced section of E elevation.
E ELEVATION: 2-bay gable, blank except for window at 1st floor in bay to left.
4-pane timber sash and case windows. Purple-grey slate roofs; harled apex stacks, coped, with circular cans. Cement-rendered skew copes with bracketted skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: cement-rendered and lined rubble wall with concrete triangular cope to S. Entrance gate at centre with stugged and painted gatepiers surmounted by gabled caps. Random rubble boundary wall to W.
North Ness House was built for Peter Lesslie, a native of Dundrossness and retired shipmaster. He bought the property, cultivated the ground, and built the North and South Stations. This house has presided over the North Ness and is a prominent feature in old photographs of this area. One of the early 1880?s shows the principal elevation with the gabled porch, but no dormer windows. It is now less visible due to the proximity of later buildings, but still forms a striking group when viewed with the neighbouring Jahara (see separate listing).
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p22. Tom Henderson SHETLAND FROM OLD PHOTOGRAPHS (1978) plate 62. James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) plate 33. James R Nicolson LERWICK HARBOUR (1966) plate 13. Thomas Manson LERWICK DURING THE LAST HALF CENTURY (1991) p95 plate 17.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.