GREMISTA ROAD, THE BOD OF GREMISTA (Ref:37258)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 08/12/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4644 4312.
Circa 1790. 2-storey, 3-bay near-symmetrical house of rectangular plan. Harled walls. E (principal) elevation: modern vertically-boarded timber door at ground offset to left of centre; regular fenestration in flanking bays and at 1st floor. S gable: single window to left at 1st floor. N gable: modern vertically-boarded timber door (to salt store) centred at ground, single windows to right at 1st floor and attic. W (rear) elevation: asymmetrical 3-bay elevation with windows at 1st floor in bay to centre and right, small windows at ground flanking centre.
Timber sash and case windows; 12-pane to principal openings, 4 and 8-pane elsewhere. Stone slab pegged roof with stone ridge; harled apex stacks with thackstanes, coped, with circular cans.
INTERIOR: modern museum interior of 1987.
The Bod of Gremista is best known as the birthplace of Arthur Anderson. His father Robert - an Unst man - had impressed Arthur Nicolson of Lochend sufficiently to be placed in charge of fishcuring operations at Gremista. He moved to the recently built Bod with his wife, Elizabeth Ridland of Dundrossness, and their eldest child Arthur was born in 1972. After a starting his career in the Royal Navy, Arthur co-founded the Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Company with Brodie McGhie Willcox. Concerned for the conditions of the Shetland people, he served as Member of Parliament for Orkney and Shetland from 1847 to 1852 and founded the Anderson Educational Institute (see separate listing) in 1862. After an initial restoration of circa 1970, it was further restored as a museum in 1987.
Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990) p23. Bod of Gremista Management Committee THE BOD OF GREMISTA (1989). James W Irvine LERWICK (1985) p95, 277. John Gifford HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1992) p494.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.