101 COMMERCIAL STREET, AND 1 AND 2 GARDIE LANE (Ref:37252)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 08/12/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4771 4125.
18th century. 2-storey and attic tenement on end of terrace site with 2-bay gable to Commercial Street and 6-bay (E) elevation to Gardie Lane. Harl-pointed rubble walls with droved sandstone margins and dressings. Margined windows with projecting cills.
N (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, smooth cement-rendered shopfront at ground, panelled door with glazed upper in bay at left, plate glass fixed-light in bay at right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor, single attic window in bay to left.
E (GARDIE LANE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 6 bays (grouped 3-3). No 1 (right group) rendered brick and stone forestair with wrought-iron handrail at ground accessing narrow vertically-boarded timber door centred at 1st floor, flanking windows, infilled window at ground floor in bay to right. No 2 (left group, with higher wallhead and floor levels), vertically-boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight in centre bay, boarded doorway in bay to right, infilled window in bay to outer left; regular fenestration at 1st floor.
Timber sash and case windows, 12-pane at 1st floor, 8-lying-pane at attic. Grey slate roof with red ridge tiles and cast-iron gutters and downpipes. Stugged ashlar apex stacks to N gable and (mutual) W, coped with circular cans, cement rendered skew copes.
A L Laing qualified as a chemist in 1881, and established a shop at these premises which still bear his name in 1886. With its fine chimney cope and sash windows, the gable to Commercial Street is a distinctive feature of Market Cross, and very prominent when viewed from the harbour. The houses to Gardie Lane have undergone less alteration than many similar buildings from this period in Lerwick?s history.
Aurora YESC, DA STREET (1994).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.