99 COMMERCIAL STREET (Ref:37251)
This building is in the Shetland Islands Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 08/12/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: HU 4772 4125.
18th century, with 19th century alterations. 2-storey and attic tenement with 2-bay gable to Commercial Street (N) and 6-bay former entrance elevation to Gardie Lane (W). Harl-pointed and cement-rendered and lined rubble walls with cement margins, cills and quoins.
N (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical 2-bay gable, 3-bay cement-rendered and painted shopfront at ground, bays divided by decorative stone columns, modern glazing, door in bay at right. Regular fenestration at 1st floor and in gablehead.
W (GARDIE LANE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, shopfront returned with single window at ground to outer left; 1st floor window corresponding to gable. Smaller floor heights and margined windows in bays at right; infilled architraved doorpiece with fluted frieze and cornice above centring 3 bays to right, modern door inserted at ground in penultimate bay to right, square opening below cill at ground in bay to outer right.
E ELEVATION: modern addition projecting at 1st floor; evidence of infilled openings, some with margins.
Timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to gable, plate glass over doorpiece and at 1st floor to outer right of W elevation. Grey slate roof, coped apex stack with circular cans.
The RCAHMS description of 18th March 1935 records; "Although unlikely to have been built until the second decade of the 18th century, this large tenement standing end-on to the W side of the street seems to be the oldest house in the burgh. The gable towards the street has been refaced, probably at the time when a shop with large windows to the E and N was formed within. On the N, a forestair with a good moulded cope and panelled pedestal, the latter ending in a spherical finial, rises from the street to a landing at 1st floor level, whence it is continued downward to a back court. From the landing, a central doorway gives access to the interior. The cornice and architrave of the doorway are moulded, the frieze being enriched with flutes. The house has been modernised internally, but still contains some late Georgian panelling". This building is the most interesting of its period in this part of Commercial Street and re-instatement of a traditional harl, sash windows, and the steps would result in a building of calibre.
RCAHMS Inventory Volume 3 SHETLAND (1946) p64. Mike Finnie SHETLAND (1990), p12.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.