SEAFIELD AVENUE, STRATHISLA DISTILLERY (Ref:35679)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 24/03/1988.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 429 511.
Founded 1786, buildings mid 19th century and later. Irregular and varied range of associated distillery buildings; mainly grey rubble with tooled ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. OFFICE BLOCK: single storey U-plan range converted from other uses, probably in the 1950s, when window openings enlarged and new doors slapped through with regular fenestration to court and pair entrances with modern timber canopies. Further rear entrance with shallow portico supported by pair slender cast-iron columns. Court closed at E by short length of coped rubble wall with pair cast-iron carriage gates and similar single pedestrian gate flanked by plain square rubble gate piers with stepped pyramidal caps installed c1980. Re-set armorials in E gable and projecting canted window. KILNS: paired kilns with twin slated shaped roofs terminating in louvred pagoda apex vents with cast-iron weathervane to one and decorative finial to the other. Kiln E gable fronted by re-used waterwheel adjoining 4 storey building constructed as malt bans, converted in 1950s for other uses. Rubble stillhouse on S with double finialled gable, twin dormers and louvred ventilator. Roof alternate slated. Rear elevations harled. Painted circular-section brick chimney to rear. NO 12 DUTY WAREHOUSE: probably c1890, 2-storey rubble warehouse with 5 gabled bays to Seafield Avenue and 4-bay return S elevation. Slate roofs; tiled ridge.
Distillery established in 1786 by George Taylor as Milltown Distillery. Much rebuilt probably c1880, c1890 and in 1950s. Re-used armorial datestone dated 1695 and other carved fragments set in E gables of office block taken from Milton Tower. Also late 19th century cast-iron drinking fountain with cup attached by length of chain, inscribed 'T Kennedy, Patentee, Kilmarnock'. Undershot waterwheel by James Abernethy, Aberdeen, dated 1881 re-used for decorative effect. Stillhouse one of oldest in industry.
John Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977), p.180. THE NORTHERN SCOT, 12 September 1986, pp. 8-10 bi-centenary anniversary report). Moss & Hume, THE MAKING OF SCOTCH WHISKY, p.271.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.