CHURCH ROAD, ST RUFUS CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS (Ref:35629)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 430 508.
James Gillespie Graham, dated 1816. Alterations James
Matthews, Aberdeen 1875. Large perpendicular Gothic church;
5-bay buttressed long elevations at N and S; 4-stage tower at
W. Mixed rubble, tooled and polished sandstone ashlar
Wide E gable, central shallow entrance porch with angle
buttresses and crenellated wallhead. Tall hoodmoulded blind
flanking windows; squat traceried window above to light
gallery. Set-off buttresses to long elevations with
hoodmoulded perpendicular traceried windows; crenellated
wallhead; crowstepped gables; cross finial at E; slate roof.
4-stage tower in centre W gable; N and S entrances in base
(blind at N, dated at S). Angle buttresses; diminishing
stages; crenellated wallhead with crocketted angle pinnacles.
Clock faces at N, S and W set in Gothic Perpendicular
INTERIOR: entrance lobby at E with mirrored stairs to
gallery; horse-shoe gallery supported by cast-iron cluster
columns with cusped panelled front with centre gilded
Organ in carved case at W fronted by carved and panelled
rectangular pulpit reached by short flight steps with brass
Mural aumbry of circa 1500, said to be Sacrament House, from
old Keith church (formerly sited in present burial ground)
re-set in W wall to left of pulpit. Aumbry initialled I O
with worn inscription, infilled with carved monogram possibly
ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church surrounded by coped
rubble walls; entrance flanked with square ashlar gatepiers
with pyramidal caps; pair cast-iron carriage gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Sacrament House from pre-Reformation church which formerly
stood in ld burial ground (and replaced by present St Rufus
church) re-set as memorial to James Duncan of Keith, died
1970. Initialled IO for (?) James Ogilvie (Ogilvie family
occupied Milton Tower).
Bellcote from old church re-used on Botriphnie Parish Church.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
Scottish Record Office CH2/342/9/221. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT
XIII (1842), P. 391. ABERDEEN JOURNAL, April 28, 1875.
Advertisement for tenders. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF
SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957), pp. 141,
251. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES IN MORAY (1981),
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.