CHAPEL STREET, ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST THOMAS AND PRESBYTERY (Ref:35623)
This building is in the Moray Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 22/02/1972.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NJ 429 502.
1831, Father Walter Lovi; dome, enlarged sanctuary and internal decoration by C J Menart, Glasgow, 1916. Prominently sited, neo-classical/Baroque cruciform church incorporating 2-storey presbytery at rear (W). Polished ashlar E front, tooled rubble flanks with ashlar margins and dressings. 3-bay pilastered entrance front, centre bay slightly advanced with 2-stages, each delineated by paired pilasters, upper stage pedimented and flanked each side by bold decorative scrolled consoles; centre entrance with pedimented doorpiece flanked by corniced panels with inset round-headed niches each housing statue. Substantial octagonal facetted copper covered concrete some spans crossing with shaped lunette in each face and apex cross finial. 2 round-headed windows in N and S transepts. Rear 2 bays incorporate presbytery with 2 windows each floor including dormerless attic in W gable. Projecting 2-storey canted window at SW; 2-pane glazing. Ridge stack; slate roofs. INTERIOR OF CHURCH: 1916 Corinthian pilastered interior; pilastered and pedimented panel incorporates Francois Dubois' painting, 'The Incredulity of St Thomas' as altarpiece; deep main cornice; simple plaster details to dome interior. Gallery at E end with plain front; pine pews.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Opened for worship 1 August 1831. Date of church also said to
be 1828 (NSA). Inscrption on frontage reads 'Columna et
Firmametum Veritatis'. Father Walter Lovi was priest at Keith
between 1835-1837 and is reputed to have designed RC churches
at Wick (1837), Braemar (1839) and Chapelton, Glenlivet
(1840, dem. 1897).
Dubois' painting gifted to Father Lovi for church by Charles
X of France.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 391. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843
(1957), pp. 157, 251. Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL
DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), p. 526. Angus J
Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 32.
BANFFSHIRE HERALD, 10 October 1981.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.