STRATHERRICK ROAD, DRUMMOND HILL (Ref:35359)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 66145 43171.
Circa 1890. Large 2-storey 5-bay symmetrical Italianate villa, now in commercial use, with piended roof, prominent doorpiece and ballustered aprons. Pink sandstone with cream ashlar dressings. Band and string course to 1st floor. Bracketed eaves course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal (S) elevation with central single-leaf panelled door with fanlight set in round-headed and keystoned arch in advanced pilastered doorpiece with ballustered apron and bi-partite window above. Outer bays slightly advanced with pilastered tripartite windows with carved friezes. Regular fenestration to 1st floor. Slightly advanced outer bays to N elevation with central projecting bay window to centre at ground, ballustered balcony above. Single-storey service wing to E.
Plate glass set in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate with lead flashings. Series of coped wall-head, gable and ridge stacks.
INTERIOR: modernised but retaining many original features including arcaded entrance hall, ornate fireplaces and vestibule mosaic.
A large and imposing villa which makes confident use of the Italianate style and a range of classical detailing. The building is notable for its doorpiece and the ballustered aprons, as well as the contrasting pink and cream masonry. It is unusual in that it has an institutional as opposed to residential presence.
Drummondhill was built by William Burns and his wife Jane Fraser. Burns was a leading Inverness solicitor and he acquired the land in 1886-7. The house was constructed shortly after and their initials are carved above the entrance. It was the last of several large villas to be built in this part of Inverness in the second half of the 19th century. During this period many of the villas were owned and lived in by lawyers.
Although the architect of the house is not known it is possibly by Alexander Ross who was a prolific architect in Inverness during this period, and is credited with designing the associated lodge.
2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1902). J Wordsworth, `Drummondhill, Stratherrick Road, Inverness¿. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.