NESS WALK, ROYAL NORTHERN INFIRMARY AND TWEEDMOUTH MEMORIAL CHAPEL (Ref:35332)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 044.
John Smith, Banff, 1799-1804. Originally, centre block of 2 storeys and 5 bays with centre 3 bays slightly advanced and pedimented with giant Corinthian pilasters at 1st and 2nd floors; ashlar, channelled ground floor; slated piended and bellcast roof. Centre block originally linked by single-storey, 3-bay quadrants to 2-storey, 3-bay pyramidal-roofed pavilions. Alterations, Matthews & Lawrie, 1864-6. Quadrants raised to 3 storeys. Pavilions reconstructed and deepened with piended roofs. Addition, Ross & Macbeth, 1896-8. 2-storey porte-cochere and operating theatre block extending from centre bay of front; ashlar, rusticated ground floor; coupled Corinthian angle pilasters supporting open pediment of gable at first floor; all windows tripartite except first floor window at gable which is round-arched and keyblocked bipartite with panelled aprons. At original main block, first and second floor windows of outer bays have been altered to bipartite ground floor of south pavilion altered with modern canopy. Tweedmouth Memorial Chapel: Ross & Macbeth, 1896-8. Cruciform, lancet style, snecked rubble; linked to south gable of main Infirmary building by corridor with transverse porch. 3-bay flanks with transepts projecting from centre bays; outer windows paired lancets; triple stepped lancets at gables of transepts; triple stepped traceried lancets at south gable; rose window at north gable; angle buttresses. Internally, transepts designed for use as RC and Episcopal chapels; roof of panelled oak; furnishings of oak.
Erected by subscription. Subscription List opened
1797. An alternative design obtained in London in 1799
from (?Colin) Farquhar was rejected as being too ornate for a
building which was to be occupied by the poor. The Tweedmouth
Memorial Chapel was built in memory of Sir Dudley
Marjoribanks, 1st Baron Tweedmouth by his widow. Front block
of Infirmary only included in the listing.
T C Mackenzie THE ROYAL NORTHERN INFIRMARY, Inverness,
(1946); NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 16; Alexander
Mackenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS, 51; INVERNESS ADVERTISER, May
30, 1865 (advert. for tenders); INVERNESS COURIER July 7,
1896 (advertisement for tenders); INVERNESS COURIER Sept.
1, 1896; and information courtesy of the Buildings of
Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.