NESS WALK, CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF ST ANDREW (EPISCOPAL) (Ref:35330)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 044.
Alexander Ross, 1866-69. English Middle Pointed with French
outline, snecked pink Conon freestone rubble with cream
covesea stone dressings, roofed wih Westmoreland green
slates. Narthex, flanked by square-plan towers, nave and
aisles, slightly projecting transepts, choir and
demi-hexagonal apse-ended chancel, octagonal chapter-house
at liturgical NE Liturgical W front, nave gable flanked
by towers. Main entrance recessed in arch carried by 3
orders of shafts rising from panelled dado and crowned by
pierced traceried gablet, in tympanum, high-relief sculptured
group of Portland stone entrance flanked by piers with
crocketted pinnacles. Gable flanked by 3-stage tower with
angle buttresses, spires not yet built. Sculpture of W front,
by Earp, London, 1876, tympanum and statues of St Peter,
Paul, Andrew and John the Baptist.
Flanks low buttressed aisles and clerestory. Chapter house at
liturgical NE, octagonal buttresses.
Interior. Narthex divided from nave by glazed stone screen,
baptistry under liturgical SW tower. 4-bay nave arcade
carried on monolith columns of Peterhead red granite with
foliated freestone capitals, arches have hoodmoulds
springing from sculptured corbels. 2-light windows in aisles,
3-light clerestory windows. Transepts full height of nave;
arches at crossing rising full height of roof carried on
clustered columns; 5-light traceried windows in transept
gables. Aisled choir, apsidal chancel with 3 2-light
traceried windows at liturgical E end. Roof principals rise
from corbels, panelled wagon roof of varnished red pine
with stencilled patterns intended for colour decoration.
Sculptured corbels, Andrew Davidson and Alexander Ross,
Pulpit designed by Alexander Ross, executed by D & A
Davidson, Inverness, 1869, Caen stone, trefoil plan,
resting on columns of Abriachan granite, sides carved
with bas-relief panel and angels, separated by columns of
green marble, green marble cope.
Altar, 1869, front with trefoil headed arches with serpentine
marble shafts, panels of alabaster decorated with Christian
symbols in alabaster and crystal.
Reredos, Earp, 1869. Caen stone, 3 arches borne on Purbeck
marble columns and enclosing panels carved in high relief,
centre surmounted by carved and crocketted gablet, flanked
by buttresses surmounted by figures of angels.
Lectern, 1879, brass. Bishop's Throne, Andrew Fraser,
Inverness, 1869, carved oak cathedra.
Choir stalls, C Hodgson Fowler, Durham, and Alexander Ross,
1909, open carved screens of Austrian wainscott oak. Screen,
1923 as War Memorial, carved oak, Sir Robert Lorimer.
Font, James F Redfern, 1871, closely based on font in Church
of Our Lady, Copenhagen, by Thorwaldsen, marble, kneeling
angel bearing shell. Altar rails, Hart, Son, Peard & Co
London, 1869, brass. Mural Monument to Bishop William Hay
(d. 1707) 18th century marble tablet with swagged drapery.
Bust of Bishop Robert Eden (1804-86), Andrew Davidson, 1900,
white marble. Sedilia, 1871.
Stained Glass, Hardman & Co, nave and chancel windows,
1869; liturgical W window, 1887; liturical north transept
window, 1877; S transept window, 1887. Tiles, Minton, 1869.
Organ, Hill & Son, London, 1869. Bells, Warner & Son, London,
Ecclesiastical Building in use as such.
INVERNESS ADVERTISER July 27, 1866; INVERNESS COURIER March
16, 1876, June 29, 1876, September 6, 1877 YEAR BOOK OF THE
EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN SCOTLAND; ed Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER
OF SCOTLAND (1883); Alexander MacKenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS
(1903) and information courtesy of the Buildings of Scotland
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.