HOLLOWS OR GILNOCKIE TOWER (Ref:3527)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 03/08/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NY 382 785.
16th century tower house shell sympathetically restored for domestic use 1979-80, W G Dawson architect. Roughly coursed rubble, ashlar dressings, rectangular or slit openings, mostly roll-moulded, some with relieving arches. Door at S end of W wall; central gun port to elevations at ground level; small-paned windows; splayed base course; continuous corbel table with cable moulding curved over angles, rope-moulding raised at intervals (some upper stonework removed). Crow-stepped gables, corbelled apex beacon platform at S, corniced end stack at N. Slate roof. INTERIOR: lower level vaulted (prehistoric stone in floor at door to latter); circular stair within SW angle.
The beacon platform is a rarity. Usually known as Hollows
Tower, sometimes as Gilnockie Tower, though local tradition
claims that the latter stood on the E bank of the Esk opposite.
Upgraded B to A 12.7.88.
RCAHM, INVENTORY OF DUMFRIES, 1920 no. 43 pp 26-7. (inc photo). MacGibbon and Ross CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE
vol III, 1889. pp 217-220.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.