HIGH STREET, TOWN HOUSE (Ref:35260)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6668 4518.
Matthews & Lawrie, 1878-82. Flemish-Baronial, Overwood
sandstone ashlar. 2 tall storeys and attic. 7-bay front.
Centre advanced, at ground floor arched entrance in gableted
porch, at 1st floor bipartite mullioned and transomed
window with trefoil heads to lights set in squareheaded
recess and surmounted by carved arms of Burgh of Inverness,
at attic, gablet containing bipartite window with arched
lights, set between angle finials surmounted by heraldic
beasts and flanked by circular angle turrets with tall
conical fishscale slated roofs. Outer windows, bipartite
mullioned and transomed with trefoil-headed lights at ground
floor, bipartite mullioned and transomed with arched lights
set in continuous arched hoodmoulds at 1st floor. Circular angle bartizans with octagonal caphouses with tall octagonal fishscale
slated roofs. Pierced parapet. Spirelet in centre, now truncated.
In W gable, panel containing burgh arms of 1686, in E
gable, panel containing arms of Charles II, both removed
from Old Bridge of Inverness Notable interior;
groin-vaulted vestibule leading to staircase lit by stained
glass windows (by Adam & Small, Glasgow); public hall with
panelled and painted ceiling and stained glass windows;
Council Chamber enlarged, John Hinton Gall, 1894, with
panelled ceiling; stained glass commemorative of Diamond
Jubilee, designed by J H Stewart, executed by William Meikle
& Son, Glasgow; 1898. Extension to south, James R Rhind,
1904, following style of original. Front to Castle Street,
3 storeys, 7 bays with shops at ground floor; change of
building line at join of extension to old work masked by
turret corbelled out from wall. Slated roofs. Ornate
cast-iron lamp standards flanking entrance.
The replacement of the previous Town House of 1708 on the
same site originated in a bequest of $6,000 for a public hall
from Mr Grant of Bught. The architects were appointed in
1876 after competition. The Commission for the extension of
1904 was awarded after competition.
ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, ed. Groome (1883): Mackenzie,
GUIDE TO INVERNESS, p 26-31; INVERNESS COURIER, Feb 5,
1904 and June 10 1904; and Information Courtesy of Buildings
of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.