5 CULDUTHEL ROAD ARDKEEN TOWER (Ref:35196)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6670 4483.
1834-36, classical; additions and alterations, Alexander F
Mackenzie, 1902 and 1906. Originally L-plan with
single-storey 3 bay arms linked by recessed one-bay quadrants
to oval block at heel of the L. Oval block at heel fronted
with pedimented tetrastyle Roman Doric portico (now glazed)
and surmounted by octagonal base on which stands pilastered
and domed circular observatory tower with segmental-arched
windows. In 1902-6, a canted bay window added at the front of
each arm; east wing raised to 2 storeys: at rear, open
angle of the L-plan filled with a 2-storey block, harled with
ashlar dressings, with a slightly raised tower feature at
main entrance. Internally, oval room (now open into portico)
with original chimney piece of 1834-6.
Built as the Inverness United Charities Institution to house
the Inverness Juvenile Female School, the Ladies' Female
Work Society and the Inverness Infant School. Converted
into a private house at end of 19th century.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 16; (George Cameron) A HISTORY
AND DESCRIPTION OF THE TOWN OF INVERNESS (1847), 70;
INVERNESS COURIER May 13, 1902; INVERNESS COURIER May 11,
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.