CROMWELL ROAD, CLOCK TOWER (Ref:35193)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 66445 46395.
Later 18th century, possibly 1767 2-stage, near square-plan clock tower. Roughly coursed red sandstone blocks; slaister pointing; raised ashlar margins; moulded cornice; elongated ogee roof. 20th century timber boarded door to SE; raised ashlar door surround. 'R' carved into stone to right of door. Graffito 'JMCA Munro August 26 1861' to SW corner. Ashlar string course between stages. Tapered elongated upper stage, inset above lower stage. Round, metal clock face to SE below eaves; oculus to SW and NE. West Highland slate to roof, laid in diminishing courses; timber louvres to each face. Tall surmounting steel and wrought-iron weather vane. Interior: cobbled floor below earthen debris, exposed stone walls, timber ladder access to upper stages. Bronze bell dated 1767 and original fittings (originally hand tolled). Mid 19th century turret clock with pendulum and weights (which later operated the bell).
Formerly listed as Cromwell Road, Clock Tower, Cromwell's Fort, The Citadel. Located within the site of the 1652 Cromwellian fort, the clock tower was previously thought to have been associated with the fort. The pentagonal fort (the remains of which are designated a scheduled ancient monument) contained a parade
ground, stables, lodgings and a church and was designed to hold over 2,000 cavalry and infantry. Demolition of the fort was ordered in 1662. A hemp manufactory began on this site in 1765 and continued in use until the mid 19th century. Research undertaken by SUAT suggests that the clock tower was probably built as part of the hemp works. A tower is depicted on Home's 1774 map of Inverness and the bell (dated 1767) may provide the date of this building. The clock tower now stands beside an oil storage depot in an area significant for its military and political history and serves as a notable landmark feature. It is thought that some of the stone used to build the fort may have been robbed from the Dominican Friary in Friars' Street, where there remains a single octagonal pillar of red sandstone, the stone in turn may have been used to build this clock tower. List description updated 2004.
J Home, A Plan Of The River Ness With The Banks & Lands Adjacent, 1774; 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1880; J Gifford, Highlands & Islands, 1992, pp32, 192; SUAT Ltd, Archaeological Evaluation Report On The Clock Tower 2002; NMRS Archive.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.