MUIRTOWN COTTAGE, CLACHNAHARRY ROAD, INVERNESS (Ref:35187)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category C building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 65279 45954.
Circa 1800-1820. 2-storey with upper breaking eaves, 3-bay, symmetrical Gothic house with later central, multi-gabled timber porch. Tooled, squared and coursed red sandstone with ashlar margins. Harl pointing to rear elevation. Base course. Pointed arched windows. Hoodmoulds at ground floor. Gablet dormers. Centre 1st floor window blind. Replacement dormers and single storey addition to rear elevation. The building is set on ground lower than street level.Multi-pane glazing with simple Y tracery, in timber frames. Piended, slated roof. Central, coped stack and octagonal cans.
Muirtown Cottage was built between 1800-1820 and is one of the oldest surviving houses in the Muirtown area of Inverness, which developed in the twentieth century. The house is a unusual example of a small-scale domestic property in the Gothic revival style.
Muirtown was owned by the Duff family and dominated by Muirtown House (see separate listing), construction of which started in 1800 for Major Hugh Robert Duff, the editor of the Culloden Papers. G Taylor and A Skinner's Survey and Maps of the Roads of North Britain or Scotland Plate 60 of 1776 depicts an earlier house with a road, marked Beauly Rd, to the north of this property and it is on this road that Muirtown cottage was located. Muirtown Cottage is first evident on the Great Reform Act Plan (1832) but it is likely that the cottage was built around the beginning of the 19th century. The cottage was originally at street level, as indicated in a photo dated 1957 (Canmore), but the road was raised in the late 20th century. This photo also indicates that the porch has been changed from a single gabled porch to a porch with gables to each side. The Muirtown area was changed significantly by the construction of the Caledonian Canal and Muirtown basin and locks.
Muirtown Cottage is in front of Muirtown basin, which was constructed as a port for Inverness and part of the Caledonian Canal. Boats would wait in the basin before leaving the canal by Clachnaharry Sea lock to the northwest or ascending Muirtown flight of locks and onwards to Loch Ness to the southwest. The Caledonian Canal is one of five canals surviving in Scotland and connects Inverness in the north to Corpach, near Fort William in the west. Construction work started in 1804 and the first complete journey was made on 23-24 October 1822
Category changed from B to C and listed building record updated as part of the Scottish Canals estate review (2013-14).
Great Reform Act Plans and Reports (1832) Inverness. London: House of Commons.
Ordnance Survey. (1874) Inverness Mainland Sheet IV.13. London: Ordnance Survey.
Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Highland & Islands. London: Penguin Books. p204.
Royal Commission on the Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland, CANMORE, Muirtown Cottage. http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/98325/details/ [accessed 11/12/2013].
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.