CHURCH STREET, OLD HIGH CHURCH (Ref:35179)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 666 454.
Late 16th century tower; church 1769-72; internal
alterations, A & W Reid, 1877; additions and internal
alterations, W L Carruthers, 1899. Rubble. Tower, square-plan,
unbuttressed with small openings, projection for stair at
SE, stone-vaulted interior; top of tower probably
late 17th century with corbelled balustraded parapet, small
octagonal spire, apsidal-ended vestry added at SE
of tower, 1899. Church of 7 bays; SE flank has late
19th century porches at end bays and semi-octagonal apse of
1891 at centre bay; tall round-arched windows; at
north-west flank square-headed windows; small dormers added,
INTERIOR: extensively remodelled 1877 and 1899;
demi-octagonal gallery, pews of modified box type introduced,
1877; open timber roof, its principals springing from stone
corbels, 1899. Stained glass of various dates, by Ballantine
& Gardiner, Douglas Strachan and Gordon Webster.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The steeple was
repaired in 1649 (RECORDS OF INVERNESS, ed. William Mackay
and Herbert Cameron Bond, ii (1894) 201). The church was
rebuilt in 1769 to a plan procured from George Fraser,
Depute-Auditor of the Excise at Edinburgh. The plan was an
enlarged version of that of the Buccleuch Church, Edinburgh,
built in 1755-6 (Charles Fraser Mackintosh, ANTIQUARIAN NOTES
George Hay, ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES 25; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 28; Alexander
Mackenzie, GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903), 45; INVERNESS COURIER,
May 24, 1877, March 27, 1891 and Sept 29, 1899; and
information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.