CHARLESTON PLACE MUIRTOWN HOUSE (Ref:35171)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 065 046.
Alexander Miller, carpenter, and Hugh Suter, mason, 1800-01.
Originally 2-storey and basement 3-bay centre block linked
by single-storey and basement quadrants surmounted by low
1st floor screen wall with blind windows to slightly advanced single-storey and basement one-bay pedimented wings with
thermal windows at basement and Venetian windows in arched
recesses at ground floor; band course at ground floor, 1st
floor string course, cornice and parapet at centre and
quadrants. Rear wing added Alexander Miller, carpenter,
Inverness, Lewis Yule, John Yule, John McWatt and Colin
Nicolson, masons, Nairn, 1804-05. Centre bay at front
surmounted by attic screen wall with carved pediment
(pediment supplied by Robert Burn, Edinburgh), 1805. Square
plan tower with angle bartizans, Lewis Yule, John Yule and
Colin Nicolson, masons, 1806, at centre of rear.
Idiosyncratic fluted Greek Doric portico at centre bay of
front, Hugh Suter, mason, 1811. East wing, William Symon,
master mason, and Lachlan Mackintosh, carpenter, 1822,
single-storey and basement. East wing gothicised, 1827,
William Symon, master mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter
with insertion of hoodmould 3-light cusped and traceried
window and heightening of square-plan castellated bartizans
flanking gable. West wing added, 1827, William Symon, master
mason, and Alexander Fraser, carpenter, single storey and
basement, castellated style with 3-light ground floor window
under Tudor hoodmould to front. Alterations, Alexander
Fraser, master mason, 1830-31, spired belfry added at centre
of west wing (only clock-stage now survives), cast-iron lion
(sculpted by Anderson, Edinburgh, cast by John Wells,
Inverness) erected at apex of east wing (now removed),
interior of house remodelled with new staircase and Gothic
1st floor added to portico (pinnacles at parapet now
removed). Front rendered, 1834. Further alterations and
additions, James Ross 1851.
Muirtown House was built for Major Hugh Robert Duff, the
editor of the CULLODEN PAPERS. Joseph Mitchell wrote that
"He was an able man but somewhat eccentric. He had been one
of Bonaparte's DETENUS and was confined in a church in France
for six months, which he gave as an excuse for not afterwards
attending divine service at home. He occupied his time in
building his house and laying out the plantations around
it." (Mitchell, REMINISCENCES: (1883), 50-51).
Scottish Record Office, SC 29/64/1 99-101, 107-8; SC 29/64/2,
201-2, 302-3; SC 29/64/3, 11-13, 197-8, 201-3; SC 29/64/4,
47-8, 92-3, 145-6, 287, 399-400; SC 29/64/7, 159-61 431-3;
SC29/64/8, 169-70; INVERNESS COURIER, Feb 13, 1851
(advertisement for tenders); Joseph Mitchell, Reminiscences
of MY LIFE IN THE HIGHLANDS, (1883) 50-51.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.