CASTLE WYND, SHERIFF COURT AND POLICE STATION, CASTLE HILL (Ref:35166)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 045.
Sheriff Court, William Burn, 1833-6. Police Station (originally Prison), Thomas Brown, 1846-8. Castellated. Sheriff Court, 2 storeys, 7-bay ashlar front with centre 3 bays, advanced and higher, left end bay a round tower, right end bay a square plan tower; centre round-arched
doorpiece under gablet and flanked by heavy buttresses;
round-arched windows, the 1st floor windows at 2nd and 6th bays tripartite. Crenellated parapet, machicolated at towers and with crosslets at towers and centre. Police Station (originally Prison), snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, 3 storeys. Square tower at south-west; octagonal tower at north-west with tall slim circular turret at one angle. Crenellated and machicolated parapet. The Courthouse and Police Station linked at the east by a wall enlivened with towers and partizans Joseph Mitchell, 1839. Alterations to connect prison to county offices, Ross and Macbeth, 1904, and further alterations, R J Macbeth, 1911.
INVERNESS JOURNAL May 10, 1833; INVERNESS COURIER Jan 16, 1839; INVERNESS COURIER Feb 25, 1846, INVERNESS COURIER Jan 8, 1904; INVERNESS COURIER Sept 19, 1911; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv 16; (George Cameron) A HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF THE TOWN OF INVERNESS (1847), p.69; Alexander Mackenzie GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903), 33; and information courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.