2 BRIDGE STREET AND CHURCH STREET, TOWN STEEPLE (Ref:35153)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 21/05/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 045.
Alexander Laing following design by William Sibbald, 1791. Classic square-plan, ashlar. 3-storey tower, round-arched openings to Bridge Street ground floor, Venetian windows with blind centre light and apron in Bridge Street and Church Street fronts at 1st floor, round-arched window rising into open pediment on each front, at 2nd floor, 1st floor band course. Lower belfry stage, Doric pilasters at angles and framing round-headed keyblocked louvred openings, with subsidiary anta pilastrade threaded through entablature. Clock stage, at each front clock face beneath swag and broken pediment advances from panelled angle piers surmounted by swagged urns. Upper belfry stage octagonal with Ionic angle pilasters N, S, W, and E fronts having single round-headed openings, NE, NW, SE and SW fronts containing 2-storey blind openings, corniced at lower storey. Octagonal base to spire with blind vents. Octagonal spire surmounted by ball and weathercock.
A group with 4-14 Bridge Street. The design was furnished by
Alexander Laing who supervised the building but the authorship
of the design is credited in THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1793)
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, ix 623; Alexander Mackenzie,
GUIDE to Inverness (1903), 32; Eveline Barron, OLD INVERNESS
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.