BANK STREET AND FRASER STREET, ST COLUMBA HIGH CHURCH (Ref:35150)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 045.
Mackenzie & Matthews, 1850-52. Perpendicular detail, coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. 4-bay nave and aisles. Gable front to Bank Street; gable of nave contains 4-centred arch under Tudor hoodmould with above 4-light window; at right, end of south-east aisle has pointed-arched door under hoodmould with above cusped lancet, at left, 4-stage tower with octagonal spire, tower having diagonal buttresses, gableted clock-tower paired pointed arches to belfry and parapet. Spire originally supported by flying buttresses from angles of tower. At north-east end of church, transeptal sanctuary added, John Rhind, 1866. Interior restored after fire, Leslie Grahame Macdougall, circa 1945; south-west gallery; stained glass rose window by Gordon Webster.
Built as the Free High Church replacing a church of 1843.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH, ed. Ewing, 208; INVERNESS COURIER.
March 20, 1851; INVERNESS ADVERTISER, July 8, 1851; INVERNESS
ADVERTISER Feb. 2 and Nov. 27, 1866; William Glasham, "Old
Houses and Churches", THE HUB OF THE HIGHLANDS, 173; Alexander
Mackenzie GUIDE TO INVERNESS (1903); and information courtesy
of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.