28-34 (EVEN NOS ONLY) ACADEMY STREET (Ref:35127)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 066 045.
Matthews & Lawrie, 1873-75. Italianate, Elgin freestone
ashlar. 3 storeys, 9-bay front to Academy Street with centre
3 bays slightly recessed; at ground floor 3 shopfronts each
tripartite, pilastered with shallow segmental architraves to
heads of lights; outer windows at wings have balustered
aprons and consoled cornices, cornices of centre windows
of wings having triangular pediments and acroteria; 2nd
floor windows at wings architraved; centre of front 1 storey
in height of 2 at 1st and 2nd floor levels, 3 round-headed
Corinthian columned and pilastered windows, their arched
heads filled with richly cut shellwork (by Goodwillie, Elgin)
and, above, incised work; Corinthian angle pilasters.
To Station Square, near symmetrical front with advanced
centre with Corinthian angle pilasters and pediment; Roman
Doric columned portico with pediment and carved tympanum
framing pilastered, architraved and keyblocked shallow
segmental arched doorpiece at ground floor; tripartite
Roman Doric columned and pilastered window with segmental
pediment at 1st floor; 2 architraved windows at 2nd floor.
West wing 3 bays, east wing 2 bays of shallow segmental
arched windows with console keystones and architraves in
pilastrade at ground; windows with balustered aprons and
consoled cornices, centre window of west wing having
segmental pediment, at 1st floor; architraved windows at
2nd floor. Bracketted cornice. Some lavish interior work.
Built as offices of the Highland Railway Company.
INVERNESS ADVERTISER, May 6 1873; and information courtesy of
The Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.