ACADEMY STREET, EAST PARISH CHURCH (Ref:35125)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6664 4551.
1798; almost entirely rebuilt, 1853 large additions, Ross
& Macbeth, 1897-8. Behind the front of 1897-8 is the earlier
building, a plain rubble-built galleried rectangle. Front of
1897-8. Lombardic Gothic, snecked, squared and stugged rubble
with polished ashlar dressings. In centre broad gable containing gableted pointed-arched entrance under broad traceried
windows; gable flanked at left by plain 2-storey stair tower
containing door under pointed window with gableted
dormerhead; at right of gable similar stair tower but
surmounted by squat octagonal tower with cusped belfry openings
and crenellated parapet with pinnacled angle bartizans and
topped by short slated octagonal spire; at angles of main
gable and towers pinnacled clasping buttresses.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally built as
Established chapel-of-ease, The Minister and congregation
came out at the Disruption and retained use of the church.
FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE, vi, 468; ix, 653; William Ewing
ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, ii, 208, NEW
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv, 29; INVERNESS COURIER, Aug 11,
1853; July 7, 1901; Jan 8, 1897; and information courtesy of
the Buildings of Scotland Research Unit.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.