ACADEMY STREET, UNION STREET, CHURCH STREET AND QUEENSGATE, MARKET ARCADE AND NEW MARKET (Ref:35118)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 22/12/1976.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6670 4540.
Public Markets and arcade to Academy Street, Matthews and
Lawrie, 1869-70. Italianate, ashlar. Front to Academy
Street, single storey 3-bay front, tripartite round-headed
arched Corinthian columned entrance with carved animal head
keystones, channelled angle piers, bracketted cornice and
balustrade surmounted by urns; outer bays, lower, each with
one round-headed window, cornice and balustrade surmounted
by urn. Arcade, brick, arcaded shopfronts, clerestory
windows, timber roof with cast-iron principals. Front to
close off Church Street: tower, snecked rubble, round-arched
entrance with oculus above and pediment. Markets altered
and extended, Burgh Surveyor, 1890 south-west market hall
timber and glass double-pitched roof supported on cast-iron
columns; central hall, square plan, timber and glass roof with
cast-iron principals. Arcade to Union Street, Ross and Macbeth,
1890. Arcade to Queensgate, Duncan Cameron, 1897, segmental
headed arch at each end, north part of arcade, shopfronts with
polished granite pilastrade, elaborate frieze and egg-and
dart cornice, cast-iron and fully glazed roof, south part
of arcade pilastered shopfronts, each originally of 3
round-headed arches; timber and glass roof.
INVERNESS ADVERTISER March 23, 1869, May 28, 1870;
INVERNESS COURIER; March 21, 1890; Sept 5, 1890; March 26,
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.