28 ABBAN STREET, ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS EPISCOPAL CHURCH RECTORY WITH BOUNDARY WALLS (Ref:35115)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 03/08/1994.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6594 4571.
Alexander Ross and Son, dated 1912. 2-storey, Jacobethan rectory. Squared and snecked, stugged sandstone with ashlar dressings and moulded arrises; stone mullions and transoms. Hoodmould to most 1st floor windows; principal gables with curvilinear gableheads. Base course and dividing string course; eaves cornice.
NE (Abban Street) elevation: 4 irregular bays. Tudor-arched, hoodmoulded doorway in bay to right of centre with roll-moulded arrises and date carved in spandrels; narrow window flanking to right;
bipartite window breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead above. Bay to outer right with bipartite at ground and single window in broad gablehead above. Bay to left of centre with bipartite stair window and small, bipartite, horizontal window below. Outer left bay with broad
Jacobean gable, tripartite at ground and bipartite at 1st floor. Low single storey passage link to church to outer right; moulded surround to 2-leaf panelled door with flanking windows.
SW (rear) elevation: 3-bay. Outer bays advanced with Jacobean gableheads, that to right more deeply advanced. 4-light window at centre at ground, bipartite breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead above. Left bay with tripartite window at ground and bipartite at 1st floor.
Right bay with projecting 5-light window at ground, round-arched centre light, cornice and tiled roof; tripartite window above.
SE elevation: 3-bay. Gabled bay to outer left with bipartite windows to both floors. Bipartite to 1st floor at centre and single
windows to each floor in bay to right.
NW elevation: linked to church (see NE elevation).
Square lead-paned casement windows. Red tiles. Ashlar coped gableheads with ball finials. Decorative cast-iron gutter fixtures and top hoppers, downpipes jumped by string course. Corniced ashlar stack to NW gablehead and to ridge.
Interior: not seen 1994.
Boundary walls: harl-pointed rubble walls with semicircular coping, formerly swept down for railings by principal front, railings
replaced with harled wall.
St Michael and All Angels Church is listed separately.
Inverness Courier, April 25, 1911.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.