ABBAN STREET AND LOCHALSH ROAD, ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS EPISCOPAL CHURCH (Ref:35114)
This building is in the Highland Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 15/06/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NH 6593 4572.
Ross and Macbeth, 1903. Lady Chapel and furnishings, J N
Comper, 1910. Simple late Gothic, 3-bay aisleless nave,
narthex and chancel, vestry at north-east, Lady Chapel at
north-west, lean-to porch at west gable. Snecked rubble,
slated roof. Spired bellcote at west. Inside, collar-braced
waggon roof; tester above high altar by Comper; stone font
with spired and crocketted timber cover by Comper; stained
glass east window by Comper.
Category B for interior. The church, as built in 1903, was a rebuilding of the Mission Chapel of the Holy Spirit (Alexander Ross, 1886) which had stood in Factory Street. In the rebuilding the church was lengthened. The adjoining Rectory in Abban Street was built to designs by Alexander Ross and Son in 1911 (INVERNESS COURIER, April 25, 1911). Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
YEAR BOOK FOR EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN SCOTLAND (1918), 233-4;
INVERNESS COURIER Aug. 25, 1903 (advertisement for tenders);
INVERNESS COURIER, Sept. 15, 1903.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.