BALMAGHIE PARISH CHURCH AND CHURCHYARD, CHURCH OF SCOTLAND (Ref:3422)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/11/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 72277 66318.
Dated 1794; 1891-4 porch and vestry, internal alterations by Peddie and Kinnear. 1893 level of tower lowered and re-roofed, James Barbour architect. T-plan church with octagonal tower to centre of long side (S). Painted rubble; polished red sandstone margins to all openings - probably all of late 19th century date; pointed arch windows, some with Y-tracery. Lean-to porch to SW gives access to church. S elevation 5-bay with Y-tracery to outer bays, lancet inner bays and central octagonal tower with pointed arch door with eliptical datestone above inscribed MDCCXCIV, restored 1894 and 1913. Band-course over ground stage. Pointed-arch louvred under over door. Octagonal slate roof with tall weathervane. INTERIOR: remodelled 20th-century, panel-fronted galleries to E and W jambs. Central pulpit with carved reredos, 2 stained glass lancets. Modern timber-lined coved ceiling. CHURCHYARD: rubble walled churchyard around church. Mainly late 18th or 19th century gravestones.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Canmore notes that the church was built in 1794 on the site of a previous place of worship and it was restored in 1894 and 1913. The earlier place of worship belonged to the Priory of Iona but by the time of the Reformation was owned by the Abbey of Holyrood. Canmore explains that a fragment of the previous church is now part of the east gate.
Listed building record updated in 2014.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 64591.
Old Statistical Account (1791-99) Balmaghie, Country of Kirkcudbright. Vol 13. p.650
Dumfries and Galloway Standard (11 January 1893) p.7c.
Reid, H M B (1895) The kirk above Dee Water. Castle Douglas: Adam Rae. pp. 17-18.
Scott, H et al (eds.) (1917) Fasti ecclesiae Scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation. Vol. 3 Edinburgh : Oliver and Boyd. p.391
The National Archives of Scotland. Drawings of Balmaghie Church RHP 43972, 43973 and 43974.
Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Balmaghie Parish Church at http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=214883 (accessed 19/09/2014).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.