LAURIESTON HALL (Ref:3418)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 04/11/1971.
Group Items: See Notes,
Group Cat: B,
Map Ref: NX 6759 6572.
Large rambling country house of several building periods from
17th-early 20th centuries. Asymmetrical grouping of wings,
the largest and most important to S and E in Edwardian
TO N 5-STOREY SQUARE TOWER: lower 3-storeys probably of early 17th-century origin, built up and given decorative 'baronial'
roofline in 1893 by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, architects.
Harled walling, all openings have 19th century sandstone
margins. Sympathetic rebuilding in 1893 with polished
sandstone corbelled angle rounds with conical roofs. To SE
angle square plan ogee roofed caphouse gives access to small
wall walk with decorative balustrade; weathervane dated 1893.
String course at 4th and 5th floor cills stepped down around
some windows. Slate roofs, tall sandstone wallhead stack to W
with deep cornice.
EARLY 20TH CENTURY WINGS TO S AND E: square-plan Edwardian
Renaissance block, 2 storeys with attic. Harled walling giant
order Ionic angle pilasters, polished sandstone basecourses,
polished raised margins, continuous cill bands. Single or
tripartite windows, sash and case with 12-pane glazing
E ELEVATION: asymmetrical wide 4-bay entrance front. 2 right
bays advanced; innermost taller with semi-circular pediment
with flanking ball finials, projecting corniced porte cochere
S ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay garden front with tripartites
to outer bays. Venetian window with French doors to centre, 3
single light windows at 1st. Deep timber - mutuled eaves,
steep pitch and platform slate roof, projecting dormers.
To S recessed smaller 2-storey 3-bay symmetrical block, all
single windows, details as above. To 1st panel dated 1906 and
inscribed LMH for Huchieson, owner.
To SW mid 19th-century lower single-storey and attic wing in
gothic style. Bowed bays with embattled parapet and
hood-moulded windows flank pointed arch full-height double
doors set in crowstepped gable. This gives appearance of pend
access to courtyard but later building has presumably negated
INTERIOR: some good plaster cornice and ceiling work. Mostly
panelled doors and shutters. Edwardian neo-jacobean carved
timber chimneypieces to hall.
Formerly Woodhall. B Group with Stables.
Sydney Mitchell and Wilson 1893 plans in NMRS.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.