GORDON CHAPEL, QUARTER MILE WEST OF GLENLOCHAR BRIDGE (Ref:3414)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category B building and was listed on 28/05/1981.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 725 643.
Circa 1840. Small Gothic chapel situated quarter mile W of Glenlochar Bridge within rubble walled enclosure; burial place of Admiral Gordon. CHAPEL: buttressed gabled building in 2 sections; wider 2-bay nave to W with narrower chancel to E with 3 pairs of sandstone buttresses. Rubble walling to nave quoins, rockfaced granite with buttresses to chancel. Polished sandstone dressings throughout. Pointed arch portal to W with nook shafts, delicate cable hood-mould and carved stops. Quatrefoil panel above door. Bipartite trefoil-headed windows with opaque glass. Granite chancel: single pointed arch window to both sides. Deep plain parapet over chancel. Steeply-pitched slate roofs. Sandstone skews and skewputts. INTERIOR: empty; timber strip panelling to wainscott, pointed chancel arch. Rubble walled enclosure, partly damaged with granite coping. Pointed-arch gateway with timber door.
J H Maxwell A GUIDE TO THE STEWARTRY OF KIRKCUDBRIGHT, 1908
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).