THREAVE CASTLE (Ref:3408)
This building is in the Dumfries And Galloway Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 04/11/1971.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NX 738 623.
Later 14th century tower; artillery fortifications, curtain walls and towers built circa 1450; partial dismantling of tower 1640, repairs early 19th century to house prisoners from Napoleonic Wars, consolidation work 1910 by Office of Works. Built for Archibald ("the Grim"), 3rd Earl Douglas, Threave was the main stronghold of the Black Douglases in their opposition to the Stewart Kings. In 1455 it was laid seige to by James II for 2 months resulting in its surrender to the Crown. In 1640 the partial dismantling of the tower was ordered so as to render it unusable as a fortress, the roof and battlements were removed. Rectangular keep, 5-storeys now roofless with restored floor to 3rd. Double-height barrel vault with mezzanine floor now missing had cellars to basement and kitchen to mezzanine. Hall to 1st, paired bed chambers to 2nd and garrison barracks to 3rd floor. Putt-log holes for supporting a timber gallery for roof level defences to 3 sides survive, 2 corbels from a defensive gallery over the main door also survive.
Scheduled Ancient Monument 90301.
Re-scheduled area 12 February 2004.
For a full description and bibliography see Official Guide
Book to Threave Castle, HMSO 1983. MacGibbon and Ross, C AND
D vol i, pp.157. Inv 41. Stell, EXPLORING DUMFRIES AND
GALLOWAY 1986 p.104. Good and Tabraham, THE ARTILLERY
FORTIFICATION AT THREAVE CASTLE, GALLOWAY, in Caldwell, DH
(ed) SCOTTISH WEAPONS AND FORTIFICATIONS 1981.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.