18 MOSS-SIDE ROAD, FRANKFORT STREET, BERTRAM STREET, FORMER WAVERLEY CINEMA (Ref:33941)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 17/06/1992.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 58180 62131.
Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1922, as Waverley Cinema. Large block, with 3 street elevations; red ashlar, some late 17th century detailing; original glazing. Lead-domed recessed and curved SE corner bay, big entrance, painted and with pair giant Egyptianised columns; centre doored 6-bay range to Moss-Side Road, part concealed by trees; 1-3-1 front to Frankfort Street, sculptured roundels over inner windows; attic storey above main cornice. Main roof slated and tarred, big roof ventilator; plain elevation to Bertram Street.
Up-graded B to A 25 November, 1993.
An unusual design with a striking domed entrance corner, the former Waverley Cinema is an important part of the streetscape. It is an early purpose-built cinema, an increasingly rare building type in a city closely associated with the genre. Watson, Salmond and Gray were more associated with commercial and hospital work and this may have been their only cinema design. With a seating capacity of 1,320, the Waverley Cinema opened in December 1922. It was renamed the ABC in 1964 and closed as a cinema in 1973. After use as a bingo hall, and then a snooker club from 1982, it was empty by 2002. It was later sold and converted to a bar/restaurant/club. Information from the Cinema Theatre Association suggests that interior features remain, particularly plasterwork and ironmongery to the foyer and barrel-vaulted auditorium.
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.