17-23 (ODD NOS) WHITEVALE STREET, ST ANNE'S CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (Ref:33912)
This building is in the Glasgow Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 27/11/1979.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 6139 6493.
Jack Coia of Gillespie Kidd and Coia, 1931-3. Church with presbytery adjoining to S. Combines Italianate and early Christian features. Red brick with contrasting ashlar dressings, red tile roofs.
CHURCH: has nave and aisles street elevation, pedimented centre with consoles, triple arched portal below with carving by Archibald Dawson; flanks with pair tall round-arched window bays reaching high above eaves. Transepts beyond.
INTERIOR: is wide on plan with vaulted roofs, narrow side aisles, brick piers wiht carved capitals and carved Stations of the Cross also by Dawson; baldacchino.
PRESBYTERY: 2-storeyed, asymmetrical; entrance bay with arched head, small paned windows with timber mullions and transomes, broad eaves, prominent stacks, piended roofs.
Brick perimeter walls, decorative wrought-iron gates and railings to roadside.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Rogerson, JACK COIA, 1986, pp18 etc. Dean of Guild Ref 1931/199. Additional information from Iain Paterson, Glasgow City Council.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.