176 DUKE STREET, KIRKHAVEN (Ref:33899)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 605 651.
Peddie and Kinnear of Edinburgh, 1857-8, as Sydney Place UP Church; in the neo-Greek style favoured by the UPs. Classical Temple, portico to Duke Street, with pair giant Corinthian columns in antis, giant clasping pilasters at either side, huge central doorway recessed behind with disc architrave, sculptured frieze and tympanum, antefixae; deep entablature continued to 2-storey flanks. Polished ashlar, architraved windows; slate roof. Rich galleried interior. Converted to a day centre 1975. Low hall at left, severe neo-Greek. Iron railed enclosure.
No longer in ecclesiastical use. Latterly Trinity-Duke Street Church.
Builder, December 24th 1858;
GLASGOW AT A GLANCE, p54;
Gomme and Walker, p311.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.