AUCHINLEA ROAD, PROVAN HALL ROAD, PROVAN HALL (Ref:33863)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 667 663.
House possible of late medieval origin, retaining a significant amount of early fabric. Pair parallel blocks linked by screen walls enclosing courtyard. Rubble-built (S block harled), ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Restoration by National Trust for Scotland throughout 1980s.
N RANGE: thought to be 15th or (perhaps more probably) 16th century. Renaissance details possible additions to a pre-existing block; crow-stepped; 2 storeys, upper windows break through eaves and have pedimented dormer heads; chamfered openings; conical-roofed drum turret st NE outer angle with shot-holes; (? reconstructed) forestair at E end of courtyard; 3 doors to court at ground; 3 coped apex stacks, that to W the most substantial.
S RANGE: mid 18th century in appearance but harl may conceal earlier work; 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical 3-bay S front, steps to central doorway, key-stoned lugged architrave with pediment; sashes with lying-panes, pair piended canted dormers with similar glazing (? circa 1840), roof perhaps contemporary, without skews and projecting over gables; pair end stacks. Handsome interior with 18th century timber stair. Small garden to front.
SCREEN WALLS: W wall looks largely rebuilt and modern, though likely to be on early footings/foundations; E wall also shaws signs of rebuilding, though less recently; wide round-arched renaissance gateway central, with renaissance moulding, perhaps dated by 1647 pediment set over bolection-moulded frame above and associated with Hamilton crest and initials "RH" (the family acquired the estate in 1593); coping slabs with moulded ends.
Onetime country residence of the medieval prebendary of Barlanark. Acquired by City of Glasgow 1667, and repaired 1668; estate divided 1729, Provan Hall sold 1767. Purchased by Dr John Buchanan, whose family held it until its acquisition by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938 (see reference cited).
Regality Club, Vol iii (illus and plan); Williamson, et al GLASGOW, 1990, p481.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.