62 TEMPLETON STREET, TEMPLETON CARPET FACTORY (Ref:33857)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 602 641.
Carpet factory built in stages, principal element William Leiper's spectacular Venetian gothic facade of 1889, to W. Other ranges mostly red brick. Principally 4/3 storeys. Converted c1985 to a business centre, inner ranges demolished at that time to form a courtyard. LEIPER'S W RANGE red terra-cotta, multi-coloured glazed bricks and faience (the glaze damaged by cleaning), extravagantly detailed openings with cusping, mouldings, parapets, roundels at top floor; near symmetrical with emphasis at centre, stair turret corbelled at SW angle. Wide square tower set back from wall-heads rises a storey above. Carpet factory founded on this site 1857; earliest range was a cut-down (2-storey) former cotton mill of circa 1823 (demolished); additions include 1868-9 3-storey 16-bay range at S end of Templeton Street; weaving sheds 1881-9. Long (N) front to London Road, framed buildings, the earliest in red brick, built 1897; bays in vertical panels, 4 storeys plus full attic storey; to right (W), long range with deep recess, large glazed panels; at left, on corner with Templeton Street, fronted in glass with white faience bands between floors, 1934 addition by George Boswell who in 1938 also designed the SE range facing Glasgow Green, which similarly, is mostly glass-fronted, decorative polychrome upper works in deference to Leiper's building adjoining.
Contemporary comments on Leiper's bvuilding include "rather startling"; "the colours are harmonious, if rather louder than one is used to". (Buildings of Scotland notes).
Architect, December 27th 1889 (part fell during construction with loss of life, result of severe wind on an insufficiently-tied frame). Ironwork devised by Alex Harvey, (Mill engineer, Govan)l Hume 1974, F109; MacKean, SCOTTISH THIRTIES, 1987, pp70, 105 (including perspective of 1934 addition drawn by Ninian Johnstone).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.