Historic Scotland Data Website
Results New Search

99 ABERCROMBY STREET, ST MARY'S RC CHURCH (Ref:33810)

This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the Glasgow Burgh. It is a category A building and was listed on 16/03/1993.

Group Items: N/A, Group Cat: N/A, Map Ref: NS 606 645.

Description

Goldie and Child of London, 1841-2. RC church, said to be the biggest in Scotland (presumably when first built) after St Andrew's Cathedral. Rectangular-plan and classical; pedimented 2-storey gabled front to street is channelled, probably all ashlar originally but now with rendered vertical panels; shallow porch; sculptured pair winged figures in tympanum; square apex bellcote; deep entablature returns over rubble-built flank to Forbes Street and series tall narrow lights and porch. Slate roof. Interior is very elaborate if much altered from original, gallery to 3 sides, 2 tiers cast-iron columns with upper arcade supporting roof (original ceiling collapsed in 1865); altar wall remodelled in 1870s, sanctuary refitted 1892. Enclosed by iron railing on low ashlar walls; plain square gatepiers.

Notes

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Upgraded to Category A 16 June 1997.

References

Williamson et al GLASGOW, 1990, p453.

© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: hs.listing@scotland.gsi.gov.uk. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.

Results New Search

Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.

ACategory A

Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).

BCategory B

Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).

C(S)Category C(S)

Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).