870 GARSCUBE ROAD, QUEENS CROSS CHURCH AND HALL (FORMERLY ST CUTHBERTS AND QUEENS CROSS) (Ref:33764)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 06/07/1966.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5795 6760.
1896-99, C R Mackintosh of Honeyman and Keppie. Built as Free Church, since 1977 the home of the Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society. Built in red sandstone ashlar with slate roof and red ridge tiles and occupying an imposing position. An original interpretation owing much to Richard Norman Shaw's Harrow Mission Church in Latimer Road, Hammersmith, London.
Rectangular plan with transepts and porch given emphasis by rising above low aisle; bold tapering tower with attached stair turret and entrance at base with perpendicular window above and louvred window in upper stage, derived from medieval tower of Merriott Church, Somerset, at SW angle. The prominent S elevation has 2 full-height gabled bays with large perpendicular gallery windows, adjoining tower, 2 low aisle bays spanned by a bold flying buttress; at the E a 2-storey porch with very original Art Nouveau details. W gable has a large perpendicular window.
INTERIOR: wide timber barrel-vaulted hall spanned by rolled steel tie beams. Passage aisle at S linking 2 entrances. Galleries at E and in SW projection, boldly cantilevered with pendant details. Screen below E gallery 1939-45 by Thomas Howarth. Furnishings designed by Mackintosh, rood beam reinstated 1990. W window with 3 coloured lights designed by Gordon Webster 1960.
THE HALL: reached by link to N from E end. Rectangular-plan with typical Mackintosh open-trussed roof and top lighting. Tall dado panelling with deep cornice.
No longer in ecclesiastical use.
Howarth, CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH (1977) pp175-8. Buildings of Scotland, Glasgow pp326-7.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.
Buildings are assigned to one of three categories according to their relative importance. All listed buildings receive equal legal protection, and protection applies equally to the interior and exterior of all listed buildings regardless of category.
Buildings of national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type. (Approximately 8% of the total).
Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered. (Approximately 51% of the total).
Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style, or building type, as originally constructed or moderately altered; and simple traditional buildings which group well with others in categories A and B. (Approximately 41% of the total).