62 BELMONT STREET, 93 AND 99 GARRIOCHMILL ROAD, KELVIN STEVENSON MEMORIAL CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND CARETAKER'S HOUSE (Ref:33753)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 5752 6730.
John James Stevenson, 1898-1902. Scottish gothic church, with tall 2-stage tower and crown spire; asymmetrical; lower church and caretaker's house. Sited on ground falling sharply to River Kelvin.
Red sandstone ashlar, lightly stugged, squared and snecked, bull-faced to lower church and crypt. String and band courses. Chamfered arrises to principal openings with architraved surrounds. Cusped, curvilinear tracery.
W ELEVATION: Scottish 15th century gothic, gabled with crowsteps, entered from high-level bridge, Belmont Street, tower adjoined to left. Angle buttresses, set-off. Pointed arch doorway at centre; roll-moulded door surround, 2-leaf panelled doors, ashlar lintel; blind, traceried fanlight. Doorway flanked by angled nook-shafts with crocketted pinnacles and pointed arch, 3-light, traceried windows. Large, Y-traceried, 6-light pointed arch window above and cross finial.
TOWER: square with diagonal, off-set, angle buttresses. Tall 1st stage containing stair; entrance to N aisle by door on EW elevation, 2-leaf, with carved detail above lintel; further door below bridge, 2 segmental-arched, 3-light windows lighting stair to N; rectangular, 2- and 3-light traceried stair windows above, to N and W, small window at eaves level to W. Upper stage with 2, pointed arch louvred and traceried openings with deeply chamfered, moulded surrounds, to each face. Corbelled ashlar parapet featuring carved animals to corbel course, below crocketted ashlar crown spire with pinnacles tied into substantial, decorative, off-set gothic apex. Lighting conductor.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay lean-to 2-0storey aisle including lower church hall; by 3 round-arched 4-light traceried windows lighting hall at centre, pointed arch 2-light to outer left and 2 rectangular windows below round-arched window to outer right; ashlar masonry to aisle above with small, paired quatrefoil windows to each bay except outer left with single quatrefoil. 5 bays to clerestorey with pilasters dividing bays; paired pointed arch traceried windows to each bay, single window to outer left. Coped, crenellated parapet.
N ELEVATION: tower to right, 3 gabled bays to left. 4 windows to crypt; 6 irregular rectangular windows to lower church hall; paired pointed arch traceried windows lighting inner aisle, with crocketted pinnacles to dividing pilasters breaking string course to gabled clerestorey bay above, each with large rose window bearing individual tracery.
E ELEVATION: English 14th century gothic; shallow, canted apse with crenellated parapet, angle buttresses and pinnacles adjoined to gabled nave. Blank, parapetted bay to right.
CARETAKER'S HOUSE: adjoined to lower church at E elevation; harled, asymmetrical 2-storey house with canted, flat-roofed porch to left of canted centre bay breaking eaves with tripartite window in gablehead.
Some lead guttering. Leaded glazing. Green slates.
INTERIOR: irregular. Arcaded aisles to nave with polygonal ashlar columns; 2-storey, 3-bay, elliptical-arched arcade to N with panelled, timber gallery; gallery continuing to W; low segmental arches to S aisle. Whitewashed walls. Panelled timber soffits to ceiling flanking timber vault. Organ to E end. Communion table (sycamore) and elders' chairs (oak), Alfred Lochhead 1939. Later stained glass windows, Gordon Webster.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as Nathanial Stevenson Memorial Free Church. Stevenson had designed the church after a brief return visit to Glasgow from his London office, and was assisted by Henry Redfern. Parallels may be found in Stevenson's design of the Peter Memorial Church, Stirling.
Builder 28.5.1898 and 14.4.1900. Architect 13.4.1900. B of S GLASGOW (1990) p326. D of G 1/7131.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.