325 CARMUNNOCK ROAD, KING'S PARK, AIKENHEAD HOUSE (Ref:33708)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 596 602.
1806 neo-classical country house, 1823 flanking wings and alterations all probably by David Hamilton. Divided into flats 1985-6 by Classical House of Glasgow. Stone-cleaned polished pink (Bothwell stone) ashlar with architraves, channelled basement, panelled giant angle pilasters, corniced windows with continuous cill course at ground. Stonework repairs in red ashlar. Glazing all small-paned sashes. HOUSE: (without known documentation, but attributed to Hamilton) originally free-standing, 2 storeys over semi-raised basement; 5-bay long elevations, their shallow advanced centres each with 3 close-spaced bays; West-facing door is central (panelled door with small-paned fanlight), flanking windows treated as sidelights, their aprons with Adamitic fluted panels, and all set behind tetrastyle Corinthian porch. Ground floor windows in outer bays have distinctive droopy consoles. Deep on plan, with 3-bay flanks; frieze, mutule cornice and blocking course to all elevations, blocking course raised and balustraded (E balustrade renewed over advanced centres; shallow-pitched piended and platformed (slated and leaded) roof, paired stacks rise above platform. INTERIOR: much early/original cornice plasterwork lost through dry-rot damage; altered by conversion to flats; vestibule opens into top-lit stair hall, cantilevered stone steps, decorative cast-iron balusters. WINGS: (Hamilton design documented) pair 2-storey roughly square-plan pavilion blocks repeat detailing of house but have low 1st floor with horizontally-proportioned windows; panelled giant pilasters divide bays on 3-bay W and E elevations, cill course at each level threaded behind order; 2-bay flanks; transversely-set central apex stack. One window on each pavilion altered 1985-6 to form door. 2-bay single storey and attic linking ranges, attic storey not original (presumably the unspecified alterations said to have been carried out in 1828) and concealed on W front behind blocking course (which was raised one masonry course) and pitch of roof, horizontally-proportioned windows face E.
J Guthrie Smith, OLD COUNTRY HOUSE OF THE OLD GLASGOW GENTRY 1870; (cited in Colvin, 1978, P383); Comme and Walker, 1987 p326.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.