405, 407 CUMBERLAND STREET, ST FRANCIS CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY (Ref:33690)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: N/A,
Group Cat: N/A,
Map Ref: NS 595 637.
Gilbert Blount, 1868 (dated); rebuilt by Pugin and Pugin 1878-81, chancel and chapels completed 1895. Large gothic church with nave-and-aisles front to street. Stone-cleaned rock-faced ashlar. Lofty gable, double doorway deeply recessed below large pointed opening, 3 tall stepped lights above, figure in gable head in canopied niche; projecting stair turret left; door and window in tall recessed panels at front of either aisle; side chapel right; grouped lancets to flanks; semi-octagonal chancel; slate roofs with decorative iron cresitng, iron railings to street. Elaborate interior, pointed aisle arcades on circular columns, white marble altar, series of leaded glass windows. Pulpit by Boulton of Cheltenham, in alabaster and marble, Caen stone relief panels. Presbytery range by Pugin and Pugin, also gothic but plainer and built of lighter-coloured ashlar; 2 storeys with attics, mostly mullioned windows, lights with 2-centred-arched heads; wall-head dormers; slate roofs.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Williamson, et al GLASGOW, 1990, p509.
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.