316 CALEDONIA ROAD, RUTHERGLEN ROAD, SOUTHERN NECROPOLIS LODGE (Ref:33685)
This building is in the Glasgow, City Of Council and the
It is a category A building and was listed on 15/12/1970.
Group Items: see notes,
Group Cat: A,
Map Ref: NS 594 634.
Charles Wilson, 1848. 2-stage, castellated Romanesque gate lodge with 3-stage stair tower to E side. Stugged ashlar sandstone, evidencing erosion from water ingress. 2-part base course, lower band battered. Impost course dividing stages. Tall semicircular vehicular entrance pend. Narrow round-arched windows with architraved hoodmould and label stops. Crenellated parapet on beakhead corbels to wallhead and to stair tower. Lower sections of flanking wall with square section piers rising above framing lodge, with blind cross-shaped arrowslits. N ELEVATION: paired nookshafts to each side of entrance arch with courses of zig-zag banding, naihead and billet moulding to arch head; arcaded windows above with engaged colnnettes to mullions and nailhead.ornament to arch heads.S ELEVATION: no mouldings to entrance arch. Windows flanking, smaller windows to 2nd stage. Arcaded windows (detailed as N elevation) above with canted oriel over entracne pend , stone slate roof. Window to each stage of stair tower to right. Windows at ground bricked up (2000) but some vestiges of former plate glass sash and case windows elsewhere. Flat roof / viewing platform (currently roofless with exposed beams). Semicircular coping to parapet. Boarded 2-leaf doors to pend.INTERIOR: in ruinous condition, lathing of walls exposed. Originally with 2 rooms at ground to W of pend, 1 room and stair to E. Stair now absent. Moulded architraves to arcaded window to N in place, with deep embrasures. Fireplaces.
Formerly furnished with ornamental gates. It is thought that the lodge may have served as a waiting room, cemetery company's offices and gardeners' bothy. See separate listing of associated cemetery, linked to lodge in an A Group. Upgraded B to A 17 November 2000.
Gomme and Walker, ARCHITECTURE OF GLASGOW p325. Charlotte Hutt (ed) CITY OF THE DEAD: THE STORY OF GLASGOW'S SOUTHERN NECROPOLIS. David Thomson, lecture on Wilson at Glasgow Philosophical Society, 13 March 1882. Fiona Sinclair, unpublished architectural report (2000).
© Crown copyright, Historic Scotland. All rights reserved. Mapping information derived from Ordnance Survey digital mapping products under Licence No. 100017509 2012 . Data extracted from Scottish Ministers' Statutory List on . Listing applies equally to the whole building or structure at the address set out in bold at the top of the list entry. This includes both the exterior and the interior, whether or not they are mentioned in the 'Information Supplementary to the Statutory List'. Listed building consent is required for all internal and external works affecting the character of the building. The local planning authority is responsible for determining where listed building consent will be required and can also advise on issues of extent or "curtilage" of the listing, which may cover items remote from the main subject of the listing such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. or interior fixtures. All category C(S) listings were revised to category C on 3rd September 2012. This was a non-statutory change. All enquiries relating to proposed works to a listed building or its setting should be addressed to the local planning authority in the first instance. All other enquiries should be addressed to: Listing & Designed Landscapes Team, Historic Scotland, Room G.51, Longmore House, Salisbury Place, EDINBURGH, EH9 1SH. Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8701 / 8705. Fax: +44 (0)131 668 8765. e-mail: email@example.com. Web: http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/historicandlistedbuildings.